The Moth Discord bot!

"Postcards from the Future" by Francesco Romoli


It has come to my attention that there is a decent amount of interest in Discord bots for use with Invisible Sun. Over the past few years I have benefited from some cool bots from various sources which could do things like draw Sooth Cards, roll dice in the Invisible Sun format, and even draw incantation and ephemera cards from the extensive decks provided with the Black Cube product.

I have collected some info about various Invisible Sun Discord bots here. The main takeaway is that they are all online only sporadically as their creators have either abandoned them, only intend them for their personal use, or have moved on to other projects.

In an attempt to remedy this I have put together my own bot and set up a VPS through Vultr to run it 24/7. I have also made the code open source so that others can add to it or host it themselves in the event that I get lost in the Blue or... pass on to the Pale.


Maybe I will add more features to this bot over time. It was much simpler to set up than I had anticipated, thank Visla! It only took me most of one morning, and I found this guide on Discord bots quite helpful.

This bot presently just draws Sooth Cards, which should prove useful for both Invisible Sun and Suns Apart campaigns. Let me know if you use it and what you think!

Update (2021/10/21):
The Moth bot can now roll dice and add modifiers thanks to xPMo! It can also roll Invisible Sun dice and track flux thanks to Baconaetor!

Comments

  1. Hi. Just invited the bot onto my server, and can't seem to get it to respond to ?help. Is there some setting I'm missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may indeed be some setting you're missing, but at a minimum the issue is caused by a confusion on how to invoke the bot. Previously commands began with a question mark, but some time ago myself and collaborators updated the Moth bot to use slash commands to comply with Discord standardizing commands for bots (https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500000368501-Slash-Commands-FAQ).

      TL;DR:
      Commands now begin with /. Try "/sooth" to draw a card.

      I just realized the Moth's "about me" text in Discord was outdated and referenced ?help, so I've updated it. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts